Saturday 6 June 2015

Serena Williams wins 20th grand slam French open despite ill health


33-year-old female professional tennis player, Serena Williams on Saturday, June 6, 2015 won her third French Open title and 20th major singles trophy.

Despite being down with flu, Williams defeated Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic with 6-3, 6-7 (2), 6-2 at a game which held at Roland Garros Stadium in Paris.
After the milestone defeat, Williams said, “I even told the physio, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to play because this is just not looking good. I actually was really bad last night.

“And then they helped me out. I hit a little bit today in the morning and I hit them pretty well. I was just like, OK, I have been playing for over 30 years. I know I can at least play tennis. After that I just went out to play a match.”

Both players were unable to play well which made the match somewhat disjointed although Williams started powerfully despite the fact that she was indisposed and was a set and 4-1 up before her serve deserted her.

Her opponent then took over winning the second on a tie-break and was a break up in the decider before Williams resurfaced to reel off the last six games for the win.

She said, “I got so frustrated. I was just so angry with myself.

“I pretty much gave the match away. I think she played really well. But at the same time, I gave it to her. I started hitting double faults. I was really frustrated with myself. I just had to pull it together.

“I haven’t done great at Wimbledon the past two years, so I’m going to take it a day at a time there.

“My goal is just to do better than in the last couple of years. That’s the one I’ve been struggling at so hopefully I will be able to play a little better there.

“I mean it’s perfect for my game, so now that my arm is better I’m hoping to get better there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment